Choosing a Montessori School – Is an Authentic Montessori Education Being Provided?
In an authentic Montessori school, all programs are based on the scientific research of Dr. Maria Montessori and on Montessori training and certifications. In a thoughtfully prepared, effective Montessori environment, you will find:
- Children respected as self-directed individuals while their growth toward independence and social responsibility is fostered.
- A joyful, orderly, and calm environment. Montessori classrooms are designed in a way that creates diversity and optimum learning.
- Classes that have a multi-age mix from toddlers through kindergarteners, allowing for both individual and social development.
- Beautiful, open classrooms with a variety of styles of work areas throughout the room and materials available on easily accessible shelving.
- Lessons are given to small groups or individual children while other children are working independently.
- Beautiful Montessori materials, stories, charts, time lines, objects of nature, treasures from cultures around the world, and some conventional teaching tools are easily accessible for the children to use and experience.
- Montessori students guided by the teacher, but actively participate in planning their time and taking responsibility for their own work.
More in this series:
8 Questions to Ask When Choosing a Montessori School